- Why was a March date chosen for this contest? East coast teams had been asking for an early season contest to begin their competition season.
- How was the amount of entry fee determined? After the contest site had been chosen and the contract rates negotiated with the site, research was done comparing other contest entry fees with similar prize packages and site amenities. Our entry fee was then set to be in line with comparable contests. The $300.00 fee for master series includes a 50′ x 50′ site, power, water and campsite for the night prior to chosen contest. The $175.00 backyard fee includes a 25′ x 50′ site, power, water and campsite stay for Friday night. Many other contests offer some of these items as “add ons” which then drive up their original lower entry fee.
- What are the ways payment for entry fee may be made? PayPal account or credit or debit card transactions may be submitted via a secure website to protect your information.
- Are there deadlines for early bird entry fee, deposit option, and regular entry fee? Yes, for master series teams, please note the deadlines listed on the team entry form. Entry forms are not complete until payment is received in full OR the option of deposit to hold team spot for master series is chosen and deposit payment is received. Backyard entry forms have a cutoff date listed on the entry forms and there is one set fee.
- Why is there an additional fee for Thursday night campsite? Bethpage camp-resort charges a fee for any night the site is occupied. As stated in our team application, if teams wish to have anything on the campsite for Thursday night, then the additional fee must be paid.
- Is the prize money posted? Yes, prize money has been posted on our website banner link listed as KCBS PRIZE MONEY. The minimum payout of $8000.00 for master series was posted with the original information released about our contest. In 2017, 2018 and 2019 the payout was increased to $11,000.00 by contest time. The overall and category breakdowns will be posted at a later date. Backyard prize payout minimum of $2400.00 is also listed and overall and category breakdowns will be posted at a later date.
- What is the “giving back” part of the contest? Our contest is “giving back” to two worthwhile causes. One is the local food bank which will receive leftover cooked pork and dry and canned goods. The second is OBR which will receive a monetary donation from the proceeds. More information may be found about both of these on the website banner listed as GIVING BACK.
- What is the cancellation policy? Prior to January 15th, monies paid for team entry fees will be refunded at 100% less credit card fees. January 15th – March 1st, monies paid for team entry fees will be refunded at 50% less credit card fees. After March 1st, no money paid for team entry fees will be refunded. For additional optional payments such as Thursday night campsite, cottage reservations, and chili contest, prior to March 7th, monies paid will be refunded at 100% less credit card fees. After March 7th, there will be 0% refund of additional optional payments. The option of donating monies paid to OBR, rather than receiving a refund, will be accepted at any time.
- What is the Refund policy for SCA payments? Refer to the SCA website at www.steakcookoffs.com
- Will there be assigned camp sites? Yes. However if, prior to March 7th, you request to be near another team, we will try to accommodate your request. On March 7th we have to give Bethpage camp-resort team names and site assignments so no requests will be taken after that time and no changes to site assignments will be made at check in.
- Is there lodging on site? Yes, there are cottages on site that may be reserved and paid for by teams and/or judges by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Please DO NOT contact the campground directly as all reservations must be made by the contest organizer. For more information, please click on the Lodging link on the Welcome page.
- Is there a BBQ rate for local hotels? Yes, there are 3 hotels with BBQ rate. All reservations and payments will be the responsibility of teams and/or judges? For more information, please click on the Lodging link on the Welcome page.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask the contest organizers by emailing email@example.com and we will respond as soon as possible.